Friday, February 6, 2009

Stupid Things We Buy



The other night I was watching the usual news fare and one of those commercials came on selling something via credit card. I think it was the same guy that sells the ShamWoW towels. If you watch Fox news you've seen this guy. He wears the phone head set like he's multitasking a phone call with his mom while summoning the "camera guy" to take a look at this.
The ShamWow towels appear to undo the first law of thermodymamis in that they appear take up more fluid than they have volume to hold. Anyway, the ShamWow guy was selling this other magic tool that chops and dices things with a slap of the hand. Golly, it's nice to know that when I get Parkinsons disease I will still be able to chop garlic. It looked like a handy device and I even took down the phone number and had my credit card number ready. Then I remembered buying the "chef'n revin chef" similar to the one linked below:








This is not the actual P.O.S that I paid twenty dollars for. This is an impoved design on the one that I bought. The garlic miracle machine that I bought used a pull string to rotate the blades. It is still a magor pain in the ass to extract the garlic from, and when the objective is trying NOT to get garlic on the fingers, one would do better to just learn how to chop efficiently. So it got me thinking of the stupidest things I have ever spent money on. The funny thing that when I was making the purchase of these items, I just didn't feel good about it.


Here goes


1. The garlic chopper described above. The real insult was watching Alton Brown demo this on "Good Eats" as a joke. It was a joke alright as my husband never lets me forget it.


2. This vehicle:




The day we bought this "Vehicle" the horoscope recommended to rethink big purchases. I had the misfortune of experiencing an engine blow-up with this POS. And what did we do? We spent even more money putting in a new engine. It was hotter than hell to drive, shook, and got eight miles to the gallon. I called it "Shake and Bake." We sold it for $900. I was never happier to be rid of a lemon.



3. A cast iron Wok. I've had it for 20 years and have yet to use it. I'd like to sell it on e-bay but the shipping would cost way more than it is worth.



4. A trail saddle for my husband. He thought he wanted to ride so I bought a saddle and a horse for him. Now he doesn't want to ride. I love the old horse, but the saddle has got to go. I'm just not a fan of western saddles. Really though, we live together, we work together, we carpool together. I love him to death but I enjoy my solitude on my horse and I like to gab with my horsey friends. No biggy, just another thing that has value that I need to get rid of.


5. Everything in my youngest daughter's apratment. She trashed it all and it ended up in the dumpster when she thought she was going to move to another city with the looser boyfriend.



4 comments:

  1. You have a Mary, too, I see, Lynn! We are always cleaning up other people's messes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a Mary, and I have a Grace. Sometimes I think I should have named the kid Sue.

    I'm actually glad that she got herself arrested and that little fiasco shot the interstate move. Salt Lake City would have been a true disaster. At least now she doesn't have so much junk. I just wish she had re-donated it all to the thrift store! Grace us still smoke free: she knows I'm not buying her any more Nicorette.

    Watching Grace mature is like climbing a sand dune: Three steps forward and two steps back. Once one gets to the top of a dune the view is usually worth it, but it sure is a bitch getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a garlic press but never use it, something about the tactile aspect of cooking appeals to me. Hands on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... where to buy dnd dice

    ReplyDelete