Sunday, January 25, 2009

Oh, How Quaint!

You will have to bear with me. I'm new to this blogging thing.

Why the name Probably Pabulum? It comes from the feeling I get every time I watch the watered down news, entertainment, and general media. It reminds me of bland baby food or pabulum. Like pabulum, most humans grow out of it and move on to more substantive foods. But with today's barrage of feel good blandness people have become used to getting badly prepared and thought out news, and most don't want anything else. So this is my little way of fighting back. Then again, I may be a little guilty of dishing out a little pabulum myself from time to time.

I grew up in Detroit when Detroit was a relatively fun place to be. There were dangerous places, but generally it was a cool place. In 1984 I moved to the Intermountain West, and I have been here ever since. Until last year, I' go back to visit my parents, but they moved to the western part of Michigan so I will never again be blessed with landing in Detroit Metro. Such a shame.

Being a transplant to a different part of the country has it's challenges: The US has a lot of differing "cultures." There were a couple things I had to get used to out here, but generally I made the changes and now I am an Idahoan, albeit a relatively liberal one. Just a small note here, when I say "Liberal Idahoan" I mean I would be a conservative anywhere else east of the Mississippi. Idaho is the most conservative state in the US. I don't mind this, but I do wish there would be a few more checks and balances, things just get corrupt when there is no accountability: it's just human nature.

What really sticks in my craw however is wealthy easterners and west coasters who move to rural Idaho and just can't get over how "quaint" we all are. They write about us in such a condescending manner. It makes me think of having to eat really bad fudge. They are usually wealthy, and have that guilt complex of how nasty all us white folks are. It's pabulum!! Like we are a bunch of unenlightened idiots that need the guidance of an educated easterner. I'll talk more about this later, there will be many examples. I'm sure there are many other rural areas in the US that have to endure the local transplant on NPR or get pissed at the columns of some of these idiots. Feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment